LMC + Galaxy coordinate system
We adopt the following coordinate system and position-velocity values:
- X-axis along the Sun-Galactic Center line.
- Y-axis along the direction of LSR motion.
- Z-axis in the direction of the NGP.
- IAU value of R0=8.5 kpc.
- Distance to LMC=50.1 kpc (Freeman et al. 2001).
- Angular position of LMC l = 280.47, b = -32.89 (1976 RC2)
- Space velocity from Kallivayalil et al. (2005): U = -86.0, V = -268.0, W= 252.0
The "ghostly" plane is the orbital plane along with the angular momentum vector. The positional vectors are to scale, the velocity and angular momentum vectors only show direction.